Friday, September 22, 2017

Weekly Update

Hi Everyone!

We've come to the end of a long week.  We had a few challenges this week with ready, responsible, and respectful choices during lunch and during our transition times.  The kids are becoming more comfortable with each other, so it can be easier for them to exhibit off-task behaviors.  I am hopeful that next week will be smooth sailing as we continue to discuss how to be ready, responsible, and respectful 1st graders.  

Will You Donate to Help Us Expand Our Flexible Seating?:
Our flexible seating continues to operate with great success.  In the hope of expanding our flexible seating choices, I have created a crowd funding project with an organization called Donors Choose, which is specifically for teachers trying to raise funds for various classroom projects and needs.  I used Donors Choose to raise funds for some of our other flexible seating supplies, and am once again turning to Donors Choose for help.  At this point, I'm half way there!  Please will you consider donating to my project to bring more flexible seating to our classroom? You can click HERE to view my project and make a tax-deductible donation.  Your employer may even match your donation!  Thank you so much for considering this request.  

Important Information About School Pictures:
Fall pictures will be taken this coming Tuesday, September 26th.  I sent home information about pictures in yesterday's Thursday folder.  This will be a day for individual pictures only; a whole-class picture will be taken in the Spring.  Following are some guidelines to help facilitate your picture order / purchase:
  • If possible, please order your child's pictures online.  It's the fastest, easiest, and most convenient way to order your child's pictures.  If you order online, you do not need to send anything to school with your child on Picture Day!
  • If you are not ordering online, please fill out the payment envelope, enclose your payment, and send it to school on picture day.  Your payment envelope must include your child's name, my name, your "look" (or background) selection, your package selection, and your payment.
  • Picture purchase is optional.
Help Needed With Copies and Materials Preparation:
I am in need of assistance with making copies and preparing some of our other classroom materials.  I am not fussy about dates and times.  If you are available to help, please send me an email and we will work the details.  Thank you!

Fall Literacy Testing:
Our Fall literacy screenings are underway as I have begun administering both the Phonological Awareness Literacy Screening (PALS) and the Developmental Reading Assessment (DRA).  I've received several questions about the DRA, and will send an overview of this assessment to you in the middle of next week.  I look forward to discussing the results of your child's assessments at our Fall Conference in October.

RAZ-Kids, Dreambox Learning, and Reflex Math:
RAZ-Kids, Dreambox Learning, and Reflex Math are web-based programs that allow your child to practice reading (RAZ-Kids), math skills (Dreambox Learning), and math fact fluency (Reflex Math).  I sent home your child's log-on information for these learning tools in a previous Thursday folder.  Most have an app you can download too.  Please allow your child to explore these fun and valuable learning tools!
Upcoming Absences:
Next week I will be out of the classroom (but in the building) on Monday morning for a meeting.  Mrs. Ryan will be in for me.  I will return to the classroom at lunch time.  On Tuesday, Mrs. Ryan will come in again so I can work individually with students to administer the DRA test.  She will handle the teaching duties that day. On Thursday, I will be out of the building for an all-day training.  Mrs. Burger will be in for me.  On Friday, I will duck tape myself to my chair so I may never leave again.  :)
Focus Areas for the Coming Week:
  • Reading:  We will talk about good reader habits. We will talk about retelling stories and making connections when we read.  I will continue administering the Developmental Reading Assessment (DRA) to determine your child's current independent reading level.
  • Writing:  We will begin learning the routines and procedures of Writer's Workshop as we talk about habits of good writers.
  • Math:  We will continue learning the routines and procedures of Math Workshop as we explore number sense and counting.  We will talk about different ways to show a number (using digits, dots, a ten-frame, tallies, etc.)
  • Science:  We will talk about the 4 seasons, and the relationship between the Sun, Earth, and Moon.
  • Social Studies:  We will talk about John Chapman, also known as "Johnny Appleseed", and why we remember him.
I welcome your feedback.  Please let me know if you have any questions!  

Here's to a wonderful weekend!

           

No comments:

Post a Comment