Friday, February 26, 2016

Weekly Update, Read-A-Thon, and Election Day

Hi Parents!

We made it through 5 whole, complete, uninterrupted school days!  I forgot what a full week feels like.  I hope the kids shared with you about our 100th day.  They seemed really happy with everything we did.  :)  


Here's your weekly update...


Odds and Ends:



  • Please check the Important Dates section of this blog often.  I update it continuously.  In fact, I've gone so far as to post the date of the LAST day of school.  :)
  • Please continue to send photos of your child with pets, family, etc.  The kids enjoy sharing these photos during Morning Meeting and I enjoy seeing their lives from different points of view.
Election Day Information:

LCPS will be closed this coming Tuesday, March 1st, due to the Virginia Presidential Primary Election.  There will be NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS ON TUESDAY, MARCH 1ST.

Read-A-Thon:

Our Inaugural Pinebrook Read-A-Thon officially begins on Monday.  I sent home information about this fundraiser this week.  The Read-A-Thon will raise money for reading materials for the school.  We are hoping to purchase new books for students, new instructional resources for teachers, and some new organizational materials for our guided reading library.  I previously asked you to help your child set up his/her personal page for the Read-A-Thon.  Once created, you may blast your child's personal page over every type of social media imaginable.  You can email, print, and text links to family and friends, and folks can donate to your child's campaign online with a credit card.  The Read-A-Thon is based on flat donations -- it's not the type of event where the kids get sponsored and a person pays a certain amount for every minute read.  This makes it much easier for all of us (I say "us" because I have a kiddo participating too!) because there's no follow-up work when the event is over.  You distribute the link to your child's personal page, people donate, and it's done!  The kids will read at school, and they already read for homework at home.  It's a win-win.

I try really hard to never "plug" a fundraiser.  I promise, promise, promise I know how it feels to open your kid's backpack and think, "They want money AGAIN?"  I am breaking my own rule to sincerely ask you to support this event.  I know you are all aware of how passionate I am about reading.  I sit on our school's Language Arts Committee, and I helped plan this event.  I am over-the-moon excited about the possibilities for the money we can raise.  

Next Week's Homework:

I am making a slight change to next week's homework packet.  In honor of Dr. Seuss's 112th birthday,  Pinebrook will celebrate National Read Across America Day on March 2nd.  For homework, I am asking your child to create a new cover for a favorite Dr. Seuss book.  I will send a piece of white card stock home on Monday, which your child should use to create his/her cover.  The sky's the limit on creativity, but please use the card stock I send home.  All 1st graders are participating in this project, and the covers will be displayed in the school library during the month of March.  I need to ensure the covers are size appropriate since they will be sharing display space with covers from other classes.  More details are included with the homework packet, but please contact me if you have any questions. 

Fine Arts Night:


The PTA is sponsoring a Fine Arts Night at school on Tuesday, March 8th at 6:30 pm.  This will be a night of hands-on creativity as kids visit many fun stations to explore art through a variety of mediums.  I hope to see you there!

STEAM Expo:


The annual Pinebrook STEAM Expo will be held on Saturday, April 9th.  It's a fun day filled with hands-on Science exploration.  My boys love this event!  I sent home a flyer in last week's Thursday folder asking for supplies for the Expo.  If you are able to donate any of these items, please kindly send them to school with your child as soon as possible.  We need many, many volunteers to make the STEAM Expo a success!  If you are able to join me in donating your time on the day of the event, you can sign up HERE.  

Camp STEAM-TACULAR Is Coming!

This summer, Pinebrook will host Camp STEAM-tacular.  This is a fun-filled week of STEAM related learning and exploration which takes place June 20th - 24th from 9 am to 3 pm here at school.  For more information and to register, click  HERE.

Focus Areas for the Coming Week:
  • Reading:  We will explore Rhyme and Author's Message via Dr. Seuss books.
  • Writing:  We will continue our Letter Writing unit.
  • Math:  We will continue our Fractions unit.
  • Social Studies:  We will continue our Famous Americans unit.
I've realized something.  Every week, I think I have just a few things to say, and every week it seems I've written another novel.  Thank you for your patience in reading my posts each week.  Brevity in writing is not my strong point.

Have a super weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment