Monday, February 15, 2016

Early Chapter Book Series for 1st Graders!

Hi Everyone!

Happy Snowy President's Day!  My youngest is practicing piano and my oldest is making cookies.  Every so often, it feels like this parenting thing is getting a teensy bit easier.  :)

I've been thinking about this post for a while.  Today I want to share a list of some beginning chapter book series for 1st graders.  The kids are just exploding as readers, and many of them are ready to move beyond the standard 32-page picture book to something "more".  These beginning chapter books are perfect for that...they help build reading stamina and confidence, they're funny and engaging stories, and they help little guys feel like "big kid readers".  I am going to list these titles as links to product listings on Amazon.  Some bloggers earn money from Amazon when you click on product links in their posts and proceed to buy the featured item.  I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE BLOGGERS!  I'm just listing these titles as links so if something looks interesting, you can quickly and easily navigate to the title for more information.  It's all about making it easy!  :)


Scholastic has a new line of beginning chapter books called "Branches."  The link to the Branches page of the Scholastic website is HERE.  There are many different book series listed that are geared toward beginning chapter book readers.

Most of the above books and book series can be found for FREE in the Loudoun County Public Library System.  If you don't have a library card, I encourage you to apply for one.  Click HERE to visit the Loudoun County Public Library site.  Once you have a library card, you can request books online, and receive an e-mail when your books are ready for pick-up!  It doesn't get any easier.  :)

*Remember...even if your kiddo can read independently, you should still read to your child often!  I  still read to my boys.  Instead of reading short picture books, I read novels that contain a story / message I want them to hear.  By reading to my boys, I'm able to continue modeling fluency, expression, stamina, and love of reading, while sharing stories I want them to learn through our family's moral, ethical, social, and religious filter.  Some of our favorite reads include: The Giver, Tuck Everlasting, Old Yeller, Maniac Magee, Wonder, Peter Nimble and His Fantastic Eyes, The One and Only Ivan, and poetry by Jack Prelutsky and Shel Silverstein.

I hope you find something that interests your child (or you!) on this list.

Happy Reading!  My Savey is finished baking his Snickerdoodles...perfect timing!


No comments:

Post a Comment