Friday, August 25, 2017

A Short Update


Hi Everyone!

Happy Friday!  I couldn't resist this meme.  I Love Lucy is my favorite television show EVER!  It's been a long week, but I'm so grateful to head into the weekend both having met my new class of firsties, and having met many of you.

First things first...if you were directed to this post by a link in an email, please kindly take a moment to subscribe to my blog.  I use this blog to communicate all school and classroom news, information, and dates.  You can follow my blog by typing your email address in the box to the right that says "follow by email".  After you input your email address, you'll receive a message to verify your address.  Simply click the link in the email to verify your email address, and you'll be subscribed forevermore with no worries about missing important information!  *Please do not skip this step.*   My blog publishes each day between 3:00 and 5:00 pm.  This means that if I have content to share, you will automatically receive an email between 3:00 and 5:00 pm that contains the new content.  If you don't receive an email, I don't have anything new posted. I typically post new content every Friday, and on other days as needed.  

Have you signed up for the Remind text messaging service?  If not, please take a moment to download the Remind app (look for the white text bubble on a blue background) from the app store and join my class.  After you download the Remind app, you can join my class by texting @jlombardo to 81010.

My update will be fairly short this week since we've had a short week of school.  We are continuing to work on community building, routines, and procedures.  Next week, I will begin to introduce some of our academic routines, such as morning work and morning meeting.  However, in a school environment -- and particularly with younger children -- the most important things I can do in the first few weeks are establish explicit and reliable routines and procedures, establish specific behavior expectations, and build a solid foundation for relationships in our room. Those things will remain a priority for the next 2 weeks.

A couple of reminders:
  • Don't forget to send a daily snack with your child.  Snack should be something that can be eaten independently (no utensils, please) while we work.   
  • Don't forget to send a water bottle with your child.  We do not have a water fountain in our classroom, so a water bottle is the only way for your child to get a drink of water during the day.
  • Please help your child to bring his/her homework folder and agenda to school each day.  Please do not simply pack and unpack your child's backpack each day.  Please begin to establish a routine at home whereby your child is responsible for these items.
  • Next week, the kids will begin to list their homework in their agendas.  For about the next month, homework will be nightly reading.  Please refer to the instructions in the inside pocket of your child's agenda for how to log your child's nightly reading.  
  • If you have not returned your "First Day Forms", please take the weekend to complete them, and return them to school on Monday.  Per our school office, I must have the following forms from you:
      1. Blue "How Is My Child Getting Home?" Form
      2. Yellow "Emergency Dismissal" Form
      3. Pinebrook Handbook Acknowledgement Survey -- This is an online form you should complete and submit via the Pinebrook website.  Click HERE to access the form.
      4. Yellow "Student Rights and Responsibilities" Form
      5. Green "Technology Use" Form 
I think that's all I have for you this week.  Please reach out at anytime with questions, comments or concerns.  This weekend, I'll update the "Important Dates" section of this blog with many upcoming school and classroom events.  Stay tuned!

It's our family's last free weekend before soccer starts!  I suppose I should go grocery shopping.  Apparently, crayons and composition notebooks can NOT sustain my boys during the first weeks of school.  I will also spend some time around the fire pit, pull some weeds from the mulch beds, and find out more about Savey and Jonah's first days of school.  Savey is a freshman at Champe.  Jonah is in 6th grade at Mercer.

I hope you have some family time planned too!

No comments:

Post a Comment