Friday, April 22, 2016

Weekly Update

Hi Everyone!

It's the time of year when I introduce the kids to Kid President.  They love him!  I love him!  Everybody loves him!  Do you know Kid President?  If not, let me introduce you to him too.  Here's my absolute favorite Kid President video ever! Watch it with your child....then say something nice to him or her.  :)



Read, Read, and Read Some More:

Our end of year literacy testing is fast approaching!  When I administer the end-of-year Developmental Reading Assessment (DRA), I will be asking your child to read a story out loud, to retell the story in sequence using characters' names and providing as many details as possible, to identify a favorite part of the story and to state why, and to make a personal connection to the story.  Please, please, please be sure your child is reading every single day (weekends too!) and is practicing these skills. I know life is busy....I really, really do...I am typing this post sitting in the parking lot at Mercer Middle School while I wait for my son's 7th grade choir concert to start. I'm attempting to calculate the exact minute I need to exit my van to get a seat in the auditorium while still trying to finish this post before I go.  I promise I understand, but I can't overstate the importance of having your child read every day. Really...every day....did I mention it's kinda important?  :)

Mrs. Fulgenzi's Last Day:

Mrs. Fulgenzi's last day in our classroom will be Friday, April 29th.  We wish her luck as she embarks on her teaching career!

Career Week Spirit Week:

Our annual Pinebrook Career Day is Tuesday.  In honor of Career Day, we will have a career themed spirit week next week.  Here are the themes for each day:
  • Monday:  "Our Future Starts Here Day":  Wear Pinebrook colors or spirit wear.
  • Tuesday:  "Pinebrook Career Day" and "College Pride Spirit Day":  Wear your favorite college gear or colors.
  • Wednesday:  "Interview Day":  Dress to impress, as if you were going to a job interview.
  • Thursday:  "What Do You Want To Be Day?":  Dress like what you want to be when you grow up.
  • Friday:  "Retirement Day":  Dress like you would when you successfully retire.
Focus Areas for the Coming Week:
  • Reading:  We will talk about similes in books we read.  We will use this knowledge during our Writing unit on Poetry.
  • Writing:  We will continue writing our nonfiction All About books, in which we teach our reader all about a chosen topic.
  • Math:  We will continue our money unit.  We are practicing counting coins, showing and writing money amounts, and making change.
  • Social Studies:  We will learn about American Symbols such as the bald eagle, Statue of Liberty, Great Seal, Mount Rushmore, the Liberty Bell, the White House, the Capitol Building, and the American flag.
Have a fantastic weekend!  We are doing some major work in our backyard, and will be prepping for that this weekend.  I am looking forward to moving my body, spending time in the sunshine, and counting my blessings.  Spending my days with your kiddos certainly ranks high on the list.  May you count your blessings this weekend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment