Friday, September 13, 2019

Weekly Update

Hi Everyone!

I hope you've had a fantastic week!  I'm starting to see little personalities emerge as the kids become more comfortable with me, and with each other.  This is when I can really start to build a relationship with them, connect with them, and see our class environment take shape.  It makes me happy.  :)

Here's your weekly update:

Please Subscribe to My Blog!
If you were directed to this post by a link in an email, please take a moment to subscribe to my blog by entering your email address in the box to the right that says "follow by email".  You will receive a confirmation email to verify your subscription. Please clink the link in the email to verify your email address.  You will then receive an automatic notification each time I've published a message.  Please don't skip that important last step -- you MUST verify/confirm your email address to be subscribed.  ***Please note:  At the end of September, I will no longer send an email to notify you of content on the blog.  You must be subscribed to receive classroom news and updates.*** 

Please Sign Up for My Remind!
If you haven't yet signed up for my Remind text messaging service, please do so by downloading the Remind app and joining my class.  After you download the Remind app, click "join a class" and enter my class code:  @jlombardo.  I send many messages and pictures via Remind.  Please don't miss out and please let me know if you have any questions!

Homework Starts Next Week:
Homework will begin on Monday.  A few notes about homework:
  • I will send a homework packet home on Mondays.  It will be due back on Fridays.
  • Homework will follow the same formula each week, to afford your student/family flexibility in planning and completion of homework. There is a suggested assignment for each night, but your child can complete the homework pages in any order and in any timeframe, as long as the homework packet comes back on Fridays. 
  • Nightly reading will continue to be part of homework. 
  • We will 5 "Words of the Week" that are practiced each week as part of homework.  The Words of the Week come from the 1st Grade Sight Word List I previously sent home.  If you need another copy, please let me know.  The words will be written on the right side of your child's agenda, and listed on the right side of this blog.
  • We will have a spelling test each Friday on that week's Words of the Week.  
Ice Cream:
As a general rule, ice cream will now be available for sale on Fridays in the cafeteria. Your child may buy ice cream to eat with a school lunch, or to eat with a packed lunch.  I don't ask the kids if they are buying ice cream on Fridays; I expect them to know whether they have permission to purchase ice cream.

Library Books:
Please help your child remember his/her Library books each Monday.  

Focus Areas for the Coming Week:
  • Reading:  We will begin our first Reader's Workshop unit by learning the routines and procedures of Reader's Workshop.
  • Writing:  We will begin our first Writer's Workshop unit by learning the routines and procedures of Writer's Workshop.
  • Phonics:  We will begin our first Phonics unit by exploring our names, and the spelling patterns we see in them. 
  • Math:  We will continue learning the routines and procedures of Math Workshop as we finish our number sense and counting unit.
  • Science:  We will talk about the 4 seasons, earth's rotation on its axis and around the sun, and why we have day and night.
Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns!  

It's going to be a busy weekend!  Jonah turns 14 tomorrow, and Savey starts work for the season at Cox Farms.  He is usually stationed at top of Dino Slide, so be sure to say hello if you're there!  We have an exchange student coming from Germany for 2 weeks, so we are making our final preparations for his arrival too.

No comments:

Post a Comment