Friday, May 3, 2019

Weekly Update

Hello Everyone; Happy Friday!

As Teacher Appreciation Week winds down, please accept my humble and sincere thanks for the notes, treats, flowers, presents, and gift cards so many of you sent to school.  Your generosity stretches beyond words.  The notes validate my efforts in the classroom each day, the treats and presents are so reflective of my personality, and the gift cards often give me a night off from cooking at home, or the ability to treat myself on Amazon.  I am honored to teach your children each day, and I thank you for recognizing me over this past week.  :)

The boys and I went to see Shrek last night at John Champe High School, and highly recommend it!  Let me tell you...those high school students can act and sing like nobody's business!  It was a fantastic show!

Meantime, the kids are busy practicing for the First Grade Music Program on May 14th and prepping for our Poet's Tea on May 24th.  It's a busy time of year! 

I have just a few things for you this week...

4th Quarter Interim Progress Reports:

4th Quarter Interim Progress Reports ("interims") will be issued Monday, May 13th.  If your child receives an interim, it will be emailed to you on Monday, May 13th using the email address on file in your ParentVue account.  You can update and/or verify your email address by logging into your ParentVue account.  

Mark Your Calendar for Our Poet's Tea:
Mark your calendar!  Our Poet's Tea will be Friday, May 24th from 9:45 - 10:30 am in our classroom.  This is the culminating event of our Poetry unit, and my FAVORITE event of the year!  All families are welcome.  At the tea, each student will read at least one poem from his/her poetry anthology.  After, I will serve cookies, juice, and water.  (My treat - food permission form to follow.).  For my planning purposes, if you know your child will not be in school on the day of the tea, will you kindly let me know?  

Focus Areas for the Coming Week:

  • Reading:  We will synthesize the good reader strategies we have learned this year as I begin to read aloud some favorite chapter books. (We have discovered and are loving the A to Z Mysteries series!)
  • Writing:  We will continue our Poetry unit in anticipation of our Poet's Tea. 
  • Math:  We will (finally!) finish our Time unit.  My being out delayed our finishing this unit! 
  • Science:  We will take a break from our crayon project while we collect old crayons for recycling.  We will begin our study of plants.  We will talk about what plants need to grow, identify the parts of a plant, discuss each part's function, and learn about the life cycle of a plant.
Questions, comments, and feedback are always welcome!  

Thank you for all the kind words about my nomination for LCPS Teacher of the Year!  While I did not win, I found out that only 37 teachers were nominated out of the thousands that teach in LCPS!  I will take that!  Here are some pictures from that special night:








Leo's favorite things are the fire pit, his grill, and (now) Winston.  He got a new fire pit this year called a "Solo Stove."  We are hoping the weather holds tonight so we can try it out!  I am painting our bedroom this weekend, and hoping to get some yard work done too!  I hope you have a fun weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment