Friday, May 11, 2018

Weekly Update

Hello Everyone; Happy Friday!

As Teacher Appreciation Week winds down, please accept my humble and sincere thanks for the notes, treats, flowers, presents, and gift cards so many of you sent to school.  Your generosity stretches beyond words.  The notes validate my efforts in the classroom each day, the treats and presents are so reflective of my personality, and the gift cards often give me a night off from cooking at home.  I am honored to teach your children each day, and I thank you for recognizing me over this past week.  :)

Meantime, the kids are busy practicing for the International Music Program on May 30th and prepping for our Poet's Tea on May 25th.  It's a busy time of year! 

I have just a few things for you this week...

4th Quarter Interim Progress Reports:

4th Quarter Interim Progress Reports ("interims") will be issued Wednesday, May 16th.  If your child receives an interim, it will be emailed to you on Wednesday, May 16th using the email address on file in your ParentVue account.  You can update and/or verify your email address by logging into your ParentVue account.  

Poet's Tea:
Our Poet's Tea will be Friday, May 25th from 10:30 - 11:25 am in our classroom.   All families are welcome.  I've told the kids the tea is a "fancy" event, so they are welcome to come to school in their fancy clothes that day. During the tea, the kids will each read at least one poem from their poetry anthologies.  After, I will serve cookies, juice, and water.  (Food permission form to follow.)  You are welcome to stay and eat lunch with your child after the tea, or to keep him/her company during lunch.  If you stay through our lunch period, please plan to say goodbye to your child at 12:02 pm in the cafeteria.  This is when our lunch is over, and our normal instructional day resumes.  As an aside, and for my planning purposes, if you know your child will not be in school on the day of the tea, will you kindly let me know?  

Focus Areas for the Coming Week:

  • Reading:  We will synthesize the good reader strategies we have learned this year as I begin to read aloud one of my favorite children's classics, Charlotte's Web.
  • Writing:  We will begin our Poetry anthologies in anticipation of our Poet's Tea. 
  • Math:  We will continue our Money unit.  We will count groups of coins.   
  • Science:  We will begin our study of plants.  We will talk about what plants need to grow, identify the parts of a plant, discuss each part's function, and learn about the life cycle of a plant.
Questions, comments, and feedback are always welcome!

Happy Mother's Day to the moms!  I wish you many blessings, and a day that honors you for the love, dedication, and support you offer your sweet babies everyday!  Thank you for sharing them with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment