Friday, January 13, 2017

Weekly Update

Hi Everyone!

We've hit that nice lull in the school year where the calendar isn't overwhelming, the kids have mastered our classroom routines, and we find some rhythm to our days. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts...I know if I blink, it will be June!  

I cleaned all the nooks and crannies of our house over Winter Break.  While looking through my own school pictures, I showed my boys a photo of myself in 1st grade. They couldn't believe the little girl in this picture is me!  I had some fun framing it, and bringing it to school to show the kids.  It's in our classroom now.  I hope you can see it.  (The words say, "This is Mrs. Lombardo in 1st grade!  The year was 1980!")



Anyway, in my 2017 1st Grade World, I have just a couple of things for you...

SOL Vocabulary Parade:
Our SOL Vocabulary Parade will be Tuesday, January 31st.  I sent home an explanation of the parade, along with your child's vocabulary word, in last week's Thursday folder.  Please allow your child to complete this project as independently as possible.  The finished product should be an authentic representation of his/her own work.  Your child should bring the project to school on January 31st; please do no send completed projects to school before that day.  

Focus Areas for the Coming Week:
  • Reading:  We will talk about cause and effect in stories we read.  
  • Writing:  We will write "how-to" pieces (in which we teach our reader "how to" do something), while focusing on editing our writing for capital letters, punctuation, spacing, and properly spelled sight words.
  • Math:  We will continue our place value unit.  We will build numbers, decompose numbers into groups of tens and ones, and write numbers in their expanded form.
  • Social Studies:  We will talk about the life and contributions of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Enjoy the long weekend!  Both Savey and Jonah get braces on Monday, so they are spending the weekend chewing gum, eating popcorn, and enjoying Swedish Fish (or that's what they tell me).  I am spending the weekend scrounging my home for loose change to pay for said braces.  I hope you have something fun planned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment