Friday, October 21, 2016

Weekly Update

Hi Everyone,

Can I tell you a story?  This week, we were doing our pumpkin investigations.  We came to the page that required us to weigh our pumpkins.  I didn't have a small scale, so I brought my bathroom scale from home.  I figured we could set our pumpkins (even the small ones) on that scale and weigh them since the scale displays both pounds and ounces.  #teacherfail  It didn't work.  I had to quickly adjust the plan, which meant, much to my HORROR, using the method where I stood on the scale by myself, then stood on the scale with my pumpkin, then subtracted the two numbers to get the pumpkin's weight.  (No, this is NOT a first grade measurement technique; sometimes you have to be flexible! :) )  Anyway, the point of the story is that this method also required me to weigh myself.  In front of 22 1st graders.  And to say my number.  Out loud.  To the entire class.  Have you done this?  The mere fact that I weigh over 100 pounds (gasp!) just bowled them over.  They looked horrified.  "YOU WEIGH HOW MUCH?"  "MRS. LOMBARDO WEIGHS A HUNDRED POUNDS!"  *GIGGLE, GIGGLE, GIGGLE*  But it was funny too.  Really funny.  Laugh-out-loud-at-the-end-of-a-ridiculously-long-day funny. Have-a-piece-of-chocolate-since-you-already-weigh-over-100-pounds funny.  I love your kids.  

Check Out Our 1st Grade Symbaloo Page:
Our Technology Resource Teacher, Mrs. Clark, compiled a Symbaloo page for us! Symbaloo is a visual bookmarking tool that makes it simple and fun to organize multiple websites.  Our 1st Grade Symbaloo has links to a variety of sites that cover multiple disciplines...everything from Mouse Skills (check out "Bees and Honey"...I played it last night!), to science, to math, and holidays.  Our Symbaloo sites are a perfect "something more" to supplement your child's weekly homework.  You can access the Symbaloo by clicking HERE.  You can access it via the "online resources" page of this blog.  You can also access it by going to the Pinebrook Homepage.  Once there, click "First Grade" under the "Classrooms" tab.  Look to the left under the heading "First Grade".  At the bottom of that list, you'll see "First Grade Symbaloo."  

Field Trip:
Our 1st grade field trip to Claude Moore Park and Heritage Farm Museum will be Wednesday, November 2nd.  If you haven't done so, please return the permission slip and payment as soon as possible.   I'll post some information next week about dress and lunch, and send a reminder or two home before the trip.

Fall Party:
Please mark your calendar for our Fall party on Monday, October 31st from 1 - 2:15 pm in our classroom.  All families are welcome to attend!  (NO costumes, please.)  I sent home a food permission slip in yesterday's Thursday folder.  Please sign and return it as soon as possible.  Your child will not be able to eat any of the party food unless I have his/her signed permission slip.  

Next Friday:
I will be out next Friday (the 28th).  My husband's company is holding its annual offsite in Williamsburg, so we are taking the boys for a long family weekend.  Mrs. Ryan will be in for me.

Focus Areas for the Coming Week:
  • Reading:  We will talk about characters in fiction stories.  We will discuss character traits, different types of characters (humans, animals, non-living things), and how characters evolve in stories.
  • Writing:  We will respond to various writing prompts and self-chosen topics.  We will continue to work on letter formation, capital letters, punctuation, and spacing.
  • Math:  We will finish our patterns and sorting unit.
  • Science:  We will finish our pumpkin investigations.
Thank you for all you do!  As always, comments, questions, and feedback are welcome (as long as it's not about my weight!).  

Enjoy the crisp Fall weekend!  (Crisp.  I love that word.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment