Friday, January 15, 2016

Weekly Update and Reading at Home

Hi Everyone,

We are starting our mid-year literacy testing.  As I formally assess the kids on their growth thus far, here's a powerful graphic for you that illustrates the impact of reading just 20 minutes each day.  Your child must read.  Read, read, read.  Every.  Single.  Solitary.  Day.  It's simply the most important thing your child can do to increase his/her chance of success in school, and in life.  I am over-the-moon blessed to have my 2 amazing boys.  People often compliment me on their school success and incorrectly attribute it to my being a teacher.  It has NOTHING to do with that, and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that my boys are readers.  I strongly (but gently) encourage you to grow your own reader at home.  :)



Odds and Ends:

  • On cold days, we have indoor recess.  Some of the kids are bringing little toys and/or Pokemon cards from home to use during indoor recess.  This is totally fine, as long as those toys stay in their backpacks for the rest of the day.  A few of the kids are having difficulty with this, so I did tell them if they try to get the toys out (particularly the Pokemon cards) during other parts of the day, they will lose the privilege of bringing these items to school.
  • If you have not returned your child's signed Book Character Parade form, please do so immediately.  This form is your indicating your understanding that participation is expected of all students.  If you need another form, please email me and I'll send you an electronic copy.
Homework:
  • This was the first week of the new homework packet.  I welcome any feedback you may offer.  
Focus Areas for the Coming Week:
  • Reading: We will talk about cause and effect in stories.
  • Writing:  We will continue writing our How-to essays.
  • Math:  We will finish our place value unit.  We will begin our geometry unit, in which we will talk about shapes we see in the environments, and the characteristics / attributes of shapes.
  • Social Studies:  We will talk about the life and contributions of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
As always, please contact me with questions, comments, or concerns.

Hooray for a long weekend...don't forget to read!


No comments:

Post a Comment